ALL IZZ WELL FOR VIJAY!

Illayathalapathy fans all over Kovai were in for a treat, as the actor made a whirlwind visit to Coimbatore on the back of Nanban’s immense success. At the press meet organised by Cosmo Village Pictures, Vijay was truly in his element.

Casually attired in a T-shirt and jeans, the actor distributed gifts and laptops to underprivileged men and women, spent time with his fan club members, and even joined us for a friendly chat.

“I really don’t know much about the collections and profits that everyone keeps talking about. I only ask people one thing — whether they’re happy once they leave the theatre. I was requested to come to Coimbatore to see the response to Nanban, and I personally yearned for interaction with the audience and press as well. I, myself, had wanted to see a new Vijay in a movie, and I’m happy that it’s worked out,” he smiles.

So, why did it take him so long to embrace a different role? “Well, I couldn’t do it myself; I needed a director to back me with a good script. After Kaavalan, this was one film in which I was offered a different role, thanks to Shankar Sir. This is easily one of my best films,” says Vijay.

On the experience of working with his Nanban co-stars, he quips, “Both Srikanth and Jiiva were my friends before the shooting; now we’ve become even closer! I’d been waiting to work with Sathyaraj Sir for so long and finally got the chance to. He has no fights or chases in the movie, but he’s pulled off a new type of villainous character brilliantly!”

Was he also a trouble-maker during his college days like his character Pari in Nanban? “I was a normal student honestly. Yes, the occasional mischief did happen, just like any other youngster,” he admits. Vijay shares a bit about his next venture, Thuppakki, with director A.R. Murugadoss, “It’s a story set in Mumbai and I just finished a 35-day long shoot there. It’s a movie in an altogether new dimension, and I’m really excited about it.”

Nanban’s message was to inspire youngsters to follow their hearts and take up the careers that they desire, so would he let his son do the same? “Absolutely! My responsibility is to be a good parent and provide Sanjay with a basic education; he can do whatever he wants to after that,” he laughs.

A quick tour of Coimbatore followed, with Vijay visiting theatres like Central, KG Big Cinema and Archana-Darsana, and even watching the movie for a few minutes with the surprised, excited crowd of cheering fans. All izz well, indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment